Wednesday 6 February 2013

Whimsy in the city and on the trams.

Yarra Trams has either been training their staff in the art of communication or the organisation has been hijacked by frustrated entertainers.  I'm not sure which.

Waiting on the very busy tram platform one morning this week, I was fascinated by the customer service representative who was announcing the arrival of trams.  He took his work very seriously and clearly viewed it as a permanent audition.  He didn't just announce that it was the Number 8 tram to Toorak, he called it like we were all playing bingo.  He also displayed an incredible knowledge of what might be found along each tram route.  I was intrigued by his gusto and imagination.

This afternoon I caught the number 19 tram along Royal Parade back into the city.  As I was seated the driver made an announcement:  "Good afternoon travellers!  How are you all this afternoon?  My name is Daniel and I'm your driver this afternoon.  I hope that you are having a wonderful journey.  This is the number 19 tram and I'll be taking you all the way into the city this afternoon.  But first, the next stop is Haymarket.  Yes, I mean the big roundabout up here on Elizabeth Street.  If you have any questions, please come up and ask me, Daniel, otherwise have a great afternoon."

For a moment I thought the tram had been hijacked, but as I stepped off the tram I said "thank you Daniel" and saw his shocked face.  Why not thank him personally since he had shared his name?

*****

Along the way home, I walked through the City Square - the same square which was the scene of protests in 2011.

It looked quite different today.  The yarn bombers had been visiting and painted the trees with wonderful bright colours.  The whimsy made me smile.
©divacultura 2013

© divacultura 2013

© divacultura 2013

*****
Having arrived home, I received a text message at 5:53pm advising me that the 5:50pm train to Williamstown had been cancelled.  I was pleased that the message was unnecessary, but frustrated at the pointlessness of the message.

4 comments:

  1. I love yarn bombing. I've seen it when I lived in Hobart, but not here in Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a bit of textile graffiti here in Sydney. Those trees are fantastic though. Love the diagonal colours. That is a lot of effort there. Well done whoever it was. Probably multiple annoymous persons. I hope it lasts for a while. They are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trees too Mousicles. I think they are really beautiful. As a knitter myself, I've never yarn bombed. When I contemplate it, I just think "what a waste" - which is bizarre because these trees bring a lot of joy to a lot of people. I think I'll leave that to others and I'll be an appreciator. I'd rather make blankets/hats/socks for the needy if I'm going to knit for the greater good.

      Delete