Friday 27 July 2012

My favourite things - this week

It's that time of the week again where I reflect on things I've loved during this week and share them with you!

1. One of my favourite things this week is happening right now!  I'm giving stuff away.  There are two more winners of a double pass each to see the film "Hysteria".  Congratulations to Anonymous (I know who you are) and Merryn. The things they wished they'd invented are fantastic and would be better versions than those currently available.  Find details in the comments on this post.  I love having such inventive and witty readers!  (*** Merryn and Anonymous, please email me your mailing address and I'll send your passes.)  Mousicles also won a pass and saw the film today.  See what Mousicles had to say about the film in the comments too.

2. One of the truths in my life is that I know some amazing people.  This week I had some inspiring conversations which left me thinking and with fewer available pages in my notebook.  (Lucky I have a store of notebooks.) One of my favourite things from this week was the ability to spend time thinking and exchanging ideas with inspiring, thoughtful people.  I also had French toast and strawberries.

Breakfast to be inspired by.  It takes stamina!
(c) divacultura 2012


3. My new way of working, with its flexible work schedule, is one of my favourite things this week.  It's not that new in terms of years - I've been changing the way I work since 2008.  It's been over a year since I established my business (and it's divacultura's first birthday tomorrow!), but I had been working fulltime since 1991, so it still feels new.  Anyway, I love that I can schedule personal appointments during the day away from the after hours and weekend crush and that I have space to think and be creative.

4. It's festival season in Melbourne.  I have a wishlist of events already marked for the Melbourne Writer's Festival - one of the best events of the year.  It's affordable and thought provoking and it can take a little time or a lot.  I'm off to the Melbourne International Film Festival on Monday night courtesy of ABC Local Radio 774.  (I'll be seeing Beasts of the Southern Wild.)  There's an Israeli Film Festival.  The Melbourne Festival is coming.  Hamer Hall has reopened after its refurbishment.  I love that Melbourne doesn't let winter restrain her spirit!

5. The view from the seventh floor of the Myer store in Bourke Street.  With floor to ceiling glass panelling it's the perfect place to see interesting perspectives on the world outside.  Now that I always have a camera with me, I like to wander up there and take some photos.  I've been up there before and shared some photos.  Here are a few more.

Time wrap.
(c) divacultura 2012
 This is virtually the same photo as the first one in this post, but it's being refurbished now.  I like the real one better.

Rear windows.
(c) divacultura 2012
 Looking down from the seventh floor.  The diagonal black line is part of the Myer window I was looking through.

Glass reflections.
(c) divacultura 2012
Looking straight down from the seventh floor.  Interesting reflections from several layers of glass at different angles.

Water spout - Little Collins Street
(c) divacultura 2012

This one has nothing to do with anything I wrote above, but I really like this photo and wanted to share it with you.  Walking around in the rain in the city is not one of my favourite things.  Taking a photo like this makes it all worth while.  It was about 12noon today.


No comments:

Post a Comment