Friday 18 November 2011

Then it all went black.

When I'm working at home, I like to take a defined lunch break.  One of the things I enjoy doing is eating my lunch over an episode of "Seinfeld".  I have the box set of the complete series.  An episode is a good size to accompany a toasted sandwich and cup of tea.  I can even watch all the extras that go with an episode and be finished within 45 minutes.  Boundaries and discipline are the only way I can make sure I get what I need to do done when I'm working on my own at home.

I loved the show when it was originally on television and have seen random repeats of episodes on TV.  It still makes me laugh even though I know the punchlines.  I can identify with all the characters: Jerry who exists in a world where things generally go right for him; Elaine, the ultra expressive queen bee, who holds her own as the only woman on the "inside"; Kramer with his optimistic acceptance of the way the world is; and George the passive aggressive, mean little opportunistic man who is somehow endearing, perhaps because he represents the dark thoughts that we all have but don't express.  George says what we're all thinking and then goes a little bit further.

Today was no different.  The episode was "The Junior Mint" from  the breakthrough fourth season which provided so many classic episodes.  Kramer and Jerry were watching a live spleenectomy from the public viewing gallery of an operating theatre.  Kramer was approaching the experience as if he was at the movies and pulled out a packet of Junior Mints to munch on.  (Kramer had even asked a date along, but she had cancelled so he asked Jerry to go with him.)  The surgeon was blocking Kramer's view of the action and Kramer was hissing and asking the surgeon to move so Kramer could see what was going on.  If you've seen the episode, you will know what happens next...

I didn't get to see what happens next because my television stopped right before the crucial moment which from memory sees Kramer leaning too far forward to improve his view.  He drops a Junior Mint which lands inside the patient on the operating table.  There was a click, the screen went black and then the on/off switch started to flick on and off, but the screen remained black.  Then there was a horrible electrical smell.  I'm waiting a while, but I suspect it may be D-E-A-D.

My heart sank.  What would I do with no TV?  Then I felt okay.  I think it might be nice to live without a TV for a while.  I'm going to give it a try - at least until the post Christmas sales when it will probably be a good time to get a bargain.  I will see if the TV can be fixed first.  It's twelve years old, so it's possible.

Here's to one less screen in my life.  For the time being.  Kramer and his Junior Mint, will need to wait in suspended animation before they can finish telling their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment