Wednesday 7 November 2012

Vignettes - moments of the day

Today I ate lunch in Degraves Street, feeling like I was somewhere in Europe.  Apart from the large number of French tourists who seem to be in town, there was a man playing the piano accordion outside the art shop.  Women were wearing espadrilles on their feet.  Men were being led around by tiny white dogs.

*****

Waiting for a tram on Toorak Road outside South Yarra Station, I watched the four wheel drives spill their high-heeled, well heeled women onto the footpath.  A growing crowd waited for the tram.  Three sharp bangs rang out.  Gunshots? I looked up from my book and wondered whether I should call someone.  Who? No one else flinched.  Bystander Syndrome got us.

*****

Waiting for (another tram) in Toorak Village, I was standing in front of a shop window.  A woman walked directly towards me and nudged me out of the way to see the contents of the shop window.  Her head seemed too big for her body.  Her hair was freshly set to "huge" and her mascara wandered down her cheeks.  The cardigan she wore poked out at the angle of her bones.  She was one of those rich Toorak women whose lips look too youthful for the rest of her.  She looked like she could barely stand up right.

*****

On day two of the "I Quit Sugar" program, I've turned into Homer Simpson and am dreaming of donuts.  I don't eat donuts, but suddenly they are looming large in my mind.  I was ready to have a headache.  I was ready to be cranky.  I don't have either of these symptoms except to emulate Homer.   I suppose I can file that under "C" or cravings.

*****

An envelope inside my post office box was from an unexpected address.  I opened the envelope and found a birthday card from a client, full of wonderful thoughts and comments about me and my work.  What a lovely gesture!  A great and consistent reflection of the mindset of this particular client.  Nice touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment