Monday 8 July 2013

Spirit Award - it's pink!

Last week I won an award.  It was the worst kept secret, but I was delighted every time someone let slip what was about to happen.  I was awarded the Spirit of the Global Corporate Challenge Award and will be receiving a special, limited edition Pulse in recognition.

The award was based on the votes of my team mates and my general participation in the Challenge.  I'm a sociable creature and I like to connect with the people with whom I'm sharing an experience.  I don't mind letting them know that I've been known to march on the spot at the end of the day while I brush my teeth or do the washing up in order to meet my step target for the day.  I've included suggestions for dancing in the loungeroom and shared that going to hear live music is a great way to beat your personal best (if it's the kind of music you can dance to).

I've mentioned before how clever the design of the GCC is.  It really does create new habits and a mindset around daily activity.  I've also found myself feeling accountable to my team.  I spent one weekend in bed ill and as a result, not only did my personal daily step average plummet, but my inactivity had an enormous impact on the performance of the team.  I felt bad, even though there was nothing I could do about it.  My team understood and also noted that they were pretty sure that everyone would be sick at some point.

We southern hemisphere participants do have the added challenge that we're participating during winter!

We're in the middle of another mini-challenge.  Whereas I blitzed the last one and set a new personal best for the number of steps I took in one day, I think I'm going to be hard pressed to succeed this time.  Our challenge is to make 100,000 steps in 7 days.  That's 14286 steps per day.  While my personal best is higher than this - 15,505 steps - given what's happening over the next 7 days achieving this isn't possible.  Rather than being defeated before I start, I've made a commitment to eat my daily target of 10,000 steps over the next 7 days.  I might even surprise myself!

Once I have received my hot pink Pulse, I've decided to continue to share the spirit by gifting my standard issue Pulse to a friend of mine who is newly inspired.  I'm so happy to know that I can give it to someone whom I know will use it - much better than sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

So in the spirit of the Spirit, what's your daily activity habit?  What's your mindset like when it comes to being active?  How do you keep yourself accountable?


No comments:

Post a Comment